Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lemuel

Proverbs 31:1-9

Sayings of King Lemuel

31 The sayings of King Lemuel—an inspired utterance his mother taught him.

Listen, my son! Listen, son of my womb!
    Listen, my son, the answer to my prayers!
Do not spend your strength[a] on women,
    your vigor on those who ruin kings.

It is not for kings, Lemuel—
    it is not for kings to drink wine,
    not for rulers to crave beer,
lest they drink and forget what has been decreed,
    and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.
Let beer be for those who are perishing,
    wine for those who are in anguish!
Let them drink and forget their poverty
    and remember their misery no more.

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
    for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
    defend the rights of the poor and needy.

While I type these words, our kids are in school. Our son, Caleb has been texting me asking me about my day and he's been letting me know how he is doing. He doesn't have any friends, not that he's not friendly, just the new kid in a new school. He is a mamas boy. He loves his family and prefers to be at home. I wonder where he gets that from?  ;) anyway, he is a people person, many adults are surprised how he can carry on a conversation. He's genuinely interested in the other person he is talking to and if you ask him a question, be prepared for the details. It can be a big downfall for him when he is in school. He's the type of person who likes to look out for the other guy. But it can easily be misunderstood by the teacher if he gets talking to someone sitting next to him who needs help. I'm proud of his effort to be a good neighbor. He just needs to learn to let things go when a teacher stops him from interrupting the class and not always try to give an explanation! Sorry for chasing a rabbit, like Caleb, I just wanted to explain what I'm talking about lol. Again, I wonder where he gets that from? 

One thing I know for sure is we both need God. That's what made me think of Lemuel. As a mother teaching her son, I just want to point him in the right direction and teach him to trust God - No matter what, God has all the answers, will take take care of him when I'm not there, and look out for him, the same way he looks out for others. 

I have a date to walk home with my Lemuel after school again today. We are about a mile and a half down the road from school and yesterday, Rachel walked home ahead of him because she has a half day schedule. When she got home, she said many strangers stopped to give her a ride, even offered her drugs, not something a mother wants to hear! I'm not gonna worry, I'm gonna trust God! Rachel is saving for a car. But until then, her girlfriend is gonna walk her home. Jim is dropping them off at school in the mornings. And at least the younger ones have a bus pick them up and drop them off! 

Thank You God for my kids. Thank You for their openness to tell me about their day. Thank You for new beginnings and letting us get off to a good start. For Rachel sitting down and telling me her concerns as well as Caleb. What more can a mom ask for? No wonder You delight in our prayers and answering them. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done! Amen. 

With Love, 
Debbie


No comments:

Post a Comment