Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Lera Was Here

"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."  (Mark 9:37)

When Rachel was in travel league softball, it was just easier and cheaper for me to stay at home with the rest of our kids when Jim and Rachel were often out of town and stayed in a hotel. I wasn't prepared to handle both of our girls with special needs alone. I'll never forget the first time I took Lera and Hannah to church without Jim. It was right after we got back from Ukraine with her. She ran right up on stage and jumped in our worship leader's arms while he was singing and playing the guitar! It's not that he didn't appreciate her doing that. He later told me how much it meant to him! Somehow her unannounced presence on stage in the middle of Sunday church made me feel uncomfortable and we mostly stayed at home after that.

This past Sunday Jim was on a fishing trip. Our grandchildren, Mikayla, Christian and Skylar had spent the night and I was feeling really brave! I decided when I woke up in the morning that we would all go to church! Rachel and Alice were already going because Rachel decided she needed more experience singing on stage in front of an audience. She started practicing with the praise team earlier in the week to prepare her for Shine where she will be performing with AMTC in December! Since Rachel's new, the praise team suggested she sit out a few times before coming up on stage and I wanted to sit with her! Ironically, this time Lera didn't run up on stage, and neither was Rachel up there! But this time, I couldn't keep Lera quiet...

Lera and Mikayla at the coloring table. 

Hannah and Christian at the coloring table.

Lera was clapping after every song when no one else was clapping and saying amen after every prayer and sometimes when no one was praying at all!

"This is the day that LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!" (Psalm 118:24)

Also, Lera wasn't sitting quietly during children's church and our granddaughter came to get me a little later. I know she wasn't trying to misbehave, she's just not able to keep quiet! Which reminds me, neither should I! 

I couldn't sleep last night...one of the little girls from Lera's former orphanage popped in my head and I know God was getting my attention. The radio was on so singing with the songs that aired became my worship and prayer. I know God has a plan and a purpose for each heartbeat. Thanks to adopting Lera, my eyes have been open to see many more in need of being rescued. 

This Mother's Day our son, Matthew will be getting married to his beautiful bride, Jessica (maybe another blog) but before that day comes, I want to remember those who don't have a mother. Would you like to help me remember them too? Maybe God's not calling you to adopt. Maybe he's calling you to become a sponsor so other families can bring their children home. If it wasn't for the help of several grants and our interest free loan from Lifesong, we wouldn't of been able to go get Lera and bring her home! Please consider giving a gift in Lera's name, so orphans around the world will not be forgotten this Mother's Day! 

From Lifesong For Orphans: 

"This Mother’s Day, please join us in giving the gift of Mom. Every little donation to adoption matching grants helps put families together."

"You can bridge the financial barriers to help make adoption possible through Lifesong’s Adoption Funding tools. Join us this month to raise $10,000 for Adoption Matching Grants, helping 4 adoptive families move one step closer to their forever child."

Casting Crowns-Life Song

No comments:

Post a Comment